Author Topic: Speed Limits--- Frustrations, considerations just blowing my horn.......  (Read 10976 times)

Hontusjj

I understand the speed limits are there for a reason, though it is frustrating when you are caught behind a vehicle (of many types) that are either not capable or not road worthy to travel at the advised speed limit. I use the road system each day and I find it annoying that people continue to travel along the road at least 20 km below the speed limit; this is the contributor to promote an accident.

For the past 3 days, each morning as I was travel north towards the Brisvagas , travelling along Mt Lindsay ?Highway ?confronted with commuters under the advised speed. Today, whilst in a cavalcade of 9 cars the offending vehicle gracefully bounced its way, while all those behind poised to pounce on the next available opportunity to overtake , some  attempted suicide runs to elevate the boredom, frustration of unworthy road certificate it really should have been given.

For the past 3 days I really wished I was a member of the Police..... Really if you are not capable at driving at the recommended speed limit then perhaps you should let someone else drive or at least move to the left hand side of the road when you can.
I welcome your feedback. :o

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
I understand the speed limits are there for a reason, though it is frustrating when you are caught behind a vehicle (of many types) that are either not capable or not road worthy to travel at the advised speed limit. I use the road system each day and I find it annoying that people continue to travel along the road at least 20 km below the speed limit; this is the contributor to promote an accident.

For the past 3 days, each morning as I was travel north towards the Brisvagas , travelling along Mt Lindsay ?Highway ?confronted with commuters under the advised speed. Today, whilst in a cavalcade of 9 cars the offending vehicle gracefully bounced its way, while all those behind poised to pounce on the next available opportunity to overtake , some  attempted suicide runs to elevate the boredom, frustration of unworthy road certificate it really should have been given.

For the past 3 days I really wished I was a member of the Police..... Really if you are not capable at driving at the recommended speed limit then perhaps you should let someone else drive or at least move to the left hand side of the road when you can.
I welcome your feedback. :o

Sadly you are in an increasing number of people who seem powerless to do something about this issue, as whenever it gets mentioned, people get shouted down with crap like the speed limit is a maximum speed, not a required speed, and things like you shouldn't be in as much of a hurry, etc....

What people forget is that in these rush rush rush days people are very time poor as well as somewhat stressed out, and that while they might not be in any hurry to get somewhere, there are others that running close to the line. All they do by slowing others down is add to the stress and frustration, and can indeed be the cause of some road rage by someone already predisposed.

Time and time again I have been on roads with 100km/h speed limits, only to have some clown sitting at 70 or 80km/h with their right hand wheels touching the white centre line of the road making it riskier to pass. In those cases I have found it safer to move to the left of the road to get a far better view of the oncoming traffic so as to overtake where it is safe to do so. Often what happens here is that the slow car gets one car behind it that finds it too hard to get past, then the big long queue builds up behind it, and then we have the examples like you mentioned above.

I suggest those that can't keep to the speed limit (subject to current road conditions), probably need to re-think their viability on the road, because if they can't keep to the speed limit because their car isn't up to it (shouldn't be on the road at all if that's the case), or because they are not competant at driving, should really be handing their licence back in. :)

Sad part is with these slower drivers is that they seem to think it is their god-given right to slow everyone else down to the speed that they want to travel at. They not only travel slower, but prefer to hug the centre line of the road in an attempt to stop people from overtaking them.

Offline bobkat

• View Profile
Well seeing how modern cars have all the comforts, turn on the radio with some soothing tunes, set the aircon to the desired level and smile knowing you are saving petrol and the environment.  Or leave 10 mins earlier......

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
Fully understand and share the frustration.  My experience is drivng to Nerang and get cught behind the same type of character that then speeds up to a 100kph in a 70 zone passing lane.
Then we wonder about road rage!
Many advanced countries have recognised that slow vehicles cause as many accidents as speeing vehicles and impose fines for going too slow. Some highways are signed with max and min speeds, especially in multiple lane roads.   
I supose QLD should bring in annual roadworthiness checks as in VIC & NSW to get rid of these rust buckets.
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
Well seeing how modern cars have all the comforts, turn on the radio with some soothing tunes, set the aircon to the desired level and smile knowing you are saving petrol and the environment.  Or leave 10 mins earlier......

I don't think you understand what has been said here.

The issue that we are seeing is that there are some rather selfish people that choose to travel at times significantly slower than the marked speed limit, and cause line ups of traffic to build behind them. They are either oblivious to the block up they are causing, and should really be looking at handing their licence back if that's the case, or know what they are doing and enjoy frustrating following motorists.

By all means, leave 10 minutes earlier if you can, but do not antaganise other motorists by travelling below the speed limit.

As far as saving fuel, that's a mighty noble idea, but if you want to travel below the speed limit, your fuel savings are not going to help save the planet, because others will be consuming a lot more fuel trying to get past you.

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Limits--- Frustrations, considerations just blowing my horn.......
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
Whoever spun the yarn about saving fuel at slower speeds is either ignorant, knows absolutely nothing about cars, or has other irons in the fire and wants to deceive those that don't know any better.  Because:
1 - The optimum speed for fuel saving in modern cars is between 90 and 100 kph.  So people deliberately driving below the speed limit are environmental terrorists out to destroy our environment. 
2 - Fuel economy is achieved with minimum acceleration and minimum speed changes, so constantly changing speed limits add to environmental damage and creating traffic jams is actually an act of environmental vandalism.

My take is that most people who display this behaviour and pretend to justify themselves with hogwash about the environment, really don't give two hoots about "our" environment; they actually have other agendas, and are actually evildoers.
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
Re: Speed Limits--- Frustrations, considerations just blowing my horn.......
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
I've been driving down the GC of a Monday evening to do a course down there, and have noticed how there are significant speed variations, in particular I can sit in lane 1 and sitting at 110km/h with cruise control, I regulary end up passing cars that are sitting in lanes 3 and 4 below the speed limit, and causing others in those lanes to slow down, change lanes, then speed up all over again. Certainly not a way to save fuel, is it ?

Actually, if the greenies were fair dinkum about the pollution from cars causing problems to the enviroment, then they really need to get out and campaign against the setting up of speed traps at the bottoms of hills and similar locations where people are forced to brake going down hills, and then changing down gears to keep the revs up to get up the hill on the other side.

Likewise the constantly changing speed limits, as well as setting lower than expected speed limits .

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Limit farce
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
It is said the soft drink companies bankrolled the temperance society at the turn of the 19/20th century.  The oil companies bankrolled the environmental opposition to Tesla and the development of the electric cars about the same time, and look where that led us.  Oil and coal cartels bankrolled the opposition to the development of the nuclear power industry, based on a lot of exaggeration and deceit, and through it all, the so called green groups were the stooges that were conned into doing their dirty work.  Or maybe they were not conned at all…   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:26:12 PM by Beefeater »
    Albert Einstein