Author Topic: Daylight Savings?  (Read 11169 times)

Offline pelicanpie

• View Profile
Daylight Savings?
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »
Hi I am surprised to see that this topic hasn't been discussed yet.

Having moved to Jimboomba from NSW and only been here 2 years i must say that i miss having daylight savings and the extra hour that it brings in the afternoon.
 I guess i am biased on this subject but i just wanted to know other peoples thoughts on this.

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
Re: Daylight Savings?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
Welcome to Jimboomba Online forums!

I'd love to see Daylight savings come to Queensland, however it seems to be pretty unlikely at the moment because so many think the cows need to wake up an hour earlier to give milk, when as we all know they'll be ready to milk at the same solar time as they always have.

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »
Cross the border and... :o Welcome to 1970 ::).
QLD,  is beautiful and so are the people; but, we are 40 years behind the times and the , rest of Au (maybe with the exception of WA, I am told they are in 1965) and even further behind the rest of the world. And not just in time either...but...there is hope...the younger generation are becoming more up to date and less stuck in the mud/mire. 
As the balance tips and the diehards die, QLD will eventually catch up with the 21st century (Hopefully long before the 22nd).
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein

Offline highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
Yep! dark ages still.  n'one day will invent gunpowder too!!  mmmmm maybe then catch up with real world. have me doubts.

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
Considering it is now that time of the year again, when I still miss the extra lifestyle hour in the afternoon, I'm miffed by a statement made by a local supporter of NO CHANGE.  It has to do with the cows, he said very strait faced.  It appears that Qld cows (can read the time, so), if we put the clocks back and forth they get very confused as to milking time etc. And the same goes for qld chooks and things, which, unlike NSW/VIC cows, chooks and other domestic creatures, that are still clever enough to tell the time, for their respective duties, by the sun.  Moral of the story is: teaching your animals to read the time has significant disadvantages! ;)
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein

Offline ranger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:37:49 AM »
Honestly I have milk in my coffee so im with the Cows. I still like to hear the pro's and con's to the debate.Liveing so close to the border is almost as good.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:40:38 AM by ranger »
It takes a Village to raise a child.

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
Well it is daylight saving time again, here in the southern states.  :)  I had forgotten how good it is.  What with not wasting so much sunshine in the morning and so much more daylight to enjoy in the evenings, it is certainly a gift to those that actually have a life.  ;)
I am told that it will take two generations before the diehards without-just-cause opposing change actually disappear, and useful change can take place.  One generation is already gone, so in the next 30 years reason will eventually prevail.   ;D
As if cows could  read the time on clocks!  The mind boggles at such nonsense! ::)
    Albert Einstein

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
I reckon they should ban daylight savings in the southern states if we can't get it in Queensland.  :)

Somewhere in the future it'll happen in Queensland, but as you said, it ain't likely to happen for a few more years yet. :(

Offline alb_1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 03:43:05 AM »
Considering the complexities involved in switching to and from daylight savings time e.g. changes to air traffic, shipping, work hours and economic costs (I'm sure there would be further reaching examples) wouldn't it be better to adjust work hours per season or as required instead of adjusting the clocks for most of the country?

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
Good point there, but the fact remains that for most of the year the Eastern seaboard of Australia is one consistant time zone, then we sudden go in to 2 or more time zones, depending upon when each of the other states go in to daylight savings.

Modifying work hours is probably the easiest option for some, but when we go from a synchronised time zone, to multiple time zones is when it causes us all varying levels of grief. ;)