Author Topic: Inaugural  (Read 7165 times)

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
Inaugural
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
It's quite amazing at how some words get misused or misrepresented in the English language.

Take the word inaugural, and how it has been bandied around town at the moment in order to hype up a recent event.

Inaugural to me, and most other people means the first or initial event, speech, visit, etc.

The 'local' chamber of commerce has just held another business and community awards night, after having held TWO of these events several years ago when they were called the Jimboomba Chamber of Commerce.

The surprising part about this is that one of the sponsors of the all of these events, also happens to be a local fish and chip wrapper, who repeatedly referred to it as the Inaugural event.

I guess the old 'never let the facts get in the way of a good story' rule applies here.

So what do the rest of the Jimboomba community think ???  Post your comments here.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:46:38 PM by bpratt »

Offline bobkat

• View Profile
Re: Inaugural
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
maybe it is first ime he / she has held an event, or they may just like the sound of the word, in the scheme of things does it really matter?  Hardly a job for the CMC

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
I agree with bprat, what matters is the ongoing deceit that goes on, and most people just let it go.  At the end of the day it is does amount to false advertising and no one seems to care, so they get away with it.
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
maybe it is first ime he / she has held an event, or they may just like the sound of the word, in the scheme of things does it really matter?  Hardly a job for the CMC

Never said anything about the CMC at all, but the deceptive practices of conning people in to believing something that isn't true at all.

To 'like the sound of the word' being used as an excuse to mislead others, is just plain unethical.

You say, 'does it really matter?' , yes I do believe it does matter.

Truth in advertising, and at the very least a very poor grip on the English language.

super-rugged