Author Topic: Lack of respect on the roads  (Read 6139 times)

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
Lack of respect on the roads
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
I am absolutely appalled at the attitude some people have when they hook up their horse float to drive along the road these days. Whilst driving back from Waterford this past Friday morning, I immediately pulled over for an ambulance with lights and siren blaring  to safely pass me and get on its way to save someone else's life, only to find it caught up behind some selfish person with a horse float on, that for some strange reason thought it more important that they continued on the road to turn right in to their driveway which was several hundred metres further down the road, delaying the ambulance on its urgent mission.

I always thought human life was far more important than the comfort of a horse, but it appears that some people think differently. If it was just simply a matter that they did not see the ambulance or hear its siren, then I can only imagine that they were simply oblivious to all the other traffic on the road, which in itself is dangerous, not only to themselves, but every other motorist on the road that gets caught up behind them.

But it wasn't just this one person with a horse float on, as further down the road this ambulance was once again baulked by two cars at Weaber Road, with only one pulling over and the 4wd in front totally ignoring the ambulance by failing to move to the left lane. I really do hope the ambulance wasn't rushing to one of their loved ones, as I could imagine their grief if due to their selfishness the ambulance couldn't arrive in time. The last I saw of that ambulance was off in the distance after getting caught by the 4wd in front who was driving below the marked speed limit.

This isn't the first time I have seen ambulances being held up in this area, and unfortunate it won't be the last, but there have been a number of occasions where I've seen an ambulance or other emergency vehicle held up because someone did not want to pull over or make room.  It really amazes me the way some people shut themselves off in their cocoon of their car, and are totally oblivious to everything outside of it.

This extends beyond just ambulances, as these days some drivers have an issue with letting others go past them, and choose to obstruct the following driver by slowing down below the limit where it is unsafe to overtake, or 'riding the centre line'. I don't know why some people do this, how are these people to know if the car in a hurry behind them is not someone rushing home to be with a sick/injured family member, or perhaps an emergency worker (fire/ambo/other) rushing to an incident where they are required, but aren't in a marked vehicle with lights and siren on it ?