Author Topic: Jimboomba Online Community.... Quiet line........  (Read 3111 times)

Offline ollie

• View Profile
Jimboomba Online Community.... Quiet line........
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:09:28 AM »
Hi All

yes Jimboomba online Community is ever adding new members.
I believe it's fantastic, it shows that people are interested, that people care, and obviously intend to participate, mingle, share, talk, argue etc...
The point is: All this power, all this amount of growing members, all shy to start a topic, share an idea, all of us waiting for someone to start, all of us worried of weather it was such a good idea... well, not All of us, but a fair amount for sure.
Well, I've taken a first step, at the risk of... what risk! the risk of making new friends? opening new opportunities? sharing new ideas?....
Well here I am taking this risk NOW! with you.
I can't wait for any responses, positive responses, I'll take positive criticism too.
Talk to you soon

Offline bpratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Local Internet
Re: Jimboomba Online Community.... Quiet line........
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
Yes, the forum is here for people in the greater Jimboomba area to communicate amongst each other, and to discuss the issues in a timely manner, that can not be done via letters to the newspapers, due to the inherent delays of newspapers being printed.

The important thing to remember is that is that not everyone is going to agree with you, but that does not mean to say that you should make personal attacks at the poster rather than the content as can be seen in the local papers at times.

Offline Kim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:14:21 AM »
The important thing to remember is that is that not everyone is going to agree with you, but that does not mean to say that you should make personal attacks at the poster rather than the content as can be seen in the local papers at times.

Yes, that's very true.  It's also great to have a local forum, as things are going to get a lot more "Local" in the future, because our current globalised system is coming apart at the seams.  First off the starting block for collapse is the global banking system.  What's that Chinese proverb/curse? "May you live in interesting times . . . "

A good resource is the "Transition Initiative Primer."  Here's the pdf publication:

http://transitionnetwork.org/Primer/TransitionInitiativesPrimer.pdf

. . . and here's a key quote from Andrew McNamara (former State member for Hervey Bay, and Qld and minister for sustainability), page 6 of that document:

"There's no question whatsoever that community driven local solutions will be essential. That's where government will certainly have a role to play in assisting and encouraging local networks, who can assist with local supplies of food and fuel and water and jobs and the things we need from shops. It was one of my contentions in the first speech I made on this issue in February of 2005... that we will see a relocalisation of the way in which we live that will remind us of not last century, but the one before that. And that's not a bad thing. Undoubtedly one of the cheaper responses that will be very effective is promoting local consumption, local production, local distribution. And there are positive spin offs to that in terms of getting to know our communities better. There are human and community benefits from local networks that I look forward to seeing grow." The Honourable Andrew McNamara, Queensland Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation

Anyway, have a great day - and thankyou for this local resource.  Here's me:

www.kimspages.org

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:19:25 AM by Kim »

Offline Beefeater

• BEEFEATER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
My admiration and congratulations to Kim. 
The first person on this forum to come clean and state who she is and what she stands for.

I may not fully agree fully with all Kim's views, but, been able to exchange ideas without personal attacks and character assassination is a tremendous experience.  I read a lot of what she refers to with interest.

My respects.

I gave up theories when I gave up a career in nuclear science and for that I dislike the oil/coal companies and mistrust the environmental movement.

So now I'm more interested in history, cyclical change and cause and effect:  The Law of Unintended Consequences.

These are some of my thoughts:

I don't think the global banking system will actually collapse.  I'm a cynic, so I think we, the taxpayers, and in particular small business, will probably (certainly) end up footing the bill, as usual. 
But a collapse...Hmmm!!!...that would mean WWIII, literally.  Historically, when economies fail, the powers that be, go to war as a distraction; sorry I meant solution. 

Meanwhile we all muddle along following umpteen side issues and distractions shrouded by smoke screens, with zeal and passion.

Conspiracy theories abound, (I'm convinced many of them could actually be real) and the whole banking issue is too well stage managed.  Ultimately the banks will have their way. Today is a classic example, interest rate hike announcement.  If a collapse were imminent would they not be lowering; and that is not the case. 

It is all about the frog in the pot.  "We" are the willing frogs, and "they" own the pots we just love to jump into them!!!

As for Local survival, it is an absolute necessity, I love the concepts of local businesses, local networks, forums, etc.; however, if a politician is involved it will not be local and it will not work.  It will simply be: "POLITICAL".  (Me the cynic again! I can't help myself.))

I have made several attempts at trying to get small businesses together to network and develop locally.  However, it has also been my sad experience that Local is loaded with baggage, rivalries, hidden agendas and irreconcilable views, which has led to the collapse of LOCAL groups . 

Of course it all depends on our definitions of local.
Some so called local groups are not really local at all, they are actually controlled by outsiders that have no local business connection, but, the locals are too divided to get involved or to agree on the most basic of issues.  It reminds me of an old soapy my aunt  watched when I was a kid: Payton Place.

Why can't we keep LOCAL simple?

By the way, we do have a very small group that work well together, but we keep a low profile.

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein